“We are a growing network of teachers in the Somerset Hills community who are dedicated to our students, strive for musical excellence, and bettering the world through private music education. I, personally, like the TAP connection for offering ways for my students to connect to others in a larger musical community, to expand educational and performing experiences, and getting to know great teaching associates better.”
-Kristin Sands, Teaching Associate and TAP Coordinator
For the Teaching Professional
The Teaching Associates Program (TAP) benefits private music instructors and their students.
- Completely free for teachers!
- Assistance in setting-up studio recitals
- Finding space
- Web presence
- Teacher controlled, personal web page
- Personalized MISH e-mail address
- Advertising at MISH events
- Flexibility to set own teaching hours
- Flexibility to set own teaching fees
- High-quality student opportunities:
- Master class opportunities and participant discounts
- Honors recitals opportunities and participant discounts
- Yearly adjudications: student evaluations by fellow Teaching Associates
- Networking with a group of teaching professionals
Minimal Teacher Obligations
- No financial obligation from members
- Teaching Associates must volunteer for one day of annual student Adjudications (to work as an actual adjudicator)
- Students should be encouraged to participate in yearly Adjudications (students pay a $10-15 administrative fee)
- Demonstrate regular Professional Development which may include other studio recitals and personal performing engagements.
- Teaching Associates should update web site as appropriate
Keys to Success: Teacher Vetting
- Demonstration Lesson (either live or video of lesson)
- Interview (can be video chat, in person, or by phone)
- Teacher must have a formal background in instrument area (undergraduate or graduate concentration or primary instrument preferred)
If you are interested in becoming a Teaching Associate, please contact us, choosing ‘Matthew LaPine’ as the recipient. Matthew can also provide more information about the Teaching Associates Program for you or a music instructor you know.
If you are ready to apply now, please fill out the TAP Application Form.